Saturday 2 January 2010

Day of Departure


We're almost all packed and ready to go. The days of travelling light have well and truly passed, but it doesn't help that we are taking numerous heavy atlases and text books for the kids at CCF in Phnom Penh- www.cambodianchildrensfund.org - a charity that Mike is now very involved with (he and a couple of other trustees are setting up a UK branch for fund-raising) and is the main reason we are to visit Cambodia. Whilst we are there, I also hope to source some women to do embroidery for a new project, and will liaise with Kate Pullen of Aspara Silk - www.asparasilk.com - who has generously promised to introduce me to her network of weavers and stitchers. I am so excited about this.

But, of course, there will be plenty of time to just relax in the sun and catch up with reading, so there is a pile of books to pack as well (this lot is about half), including the last in the Steig Laarson trilogy, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" which almost needs a suitcase itself. I'm taking my sketchbook as well ..... just in case.
























But part of me hates to leave Briancon, especially on a day like today. Not warm, but the sky is clear and blue and particularly quiet after the New Year festivities. The village has an abandoned air to it with only a few hardies buying bread and the odd supplies from Merlauds. 2010 doesn't really commence until after the weekend here in La Belle France.


It's very nice to go travelling, but I'm already looking forward to getting back to my nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment